Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Park #18

September 11, 2005: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Those people in Philly know what they are doing. Let me tell you something, all major cities can learn a lot from Philadelphia. Did you know that all four major sports complexes in the city are all within like half a mile from each other. The baseball stadium (Citizens Bank), the football stadium, the Wachovia Center (where the Flyer and 76ers play) and the Spectrum are all together. It was really cool to see all this in one area. It made me wonder how crazy it gets traffic-wise when more than one sport is going on at once, but when there is only one sport there is lots of parking that is spread out, so the traffic wasn’t bad at all. I went to the game with Koosed, and on our way from the parking lot to the stadium, we passed the Rocky statue which is located outside the Spectrum. I got a really cool picture of me punching Rocky below the belt, it was great. Also, as you get to the stadium there are many statues of former Phillies greats around the outside of the park, like Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton. The outside of the stadium itself is very cool, there is a ton of brick on the exterior walls, coupled with giant steel girders. This was reminiscent of a certain Boston area ballpark. The parallel between Citizens Bank and Fenway continued when I got into the main concourse. I say this because as you walk around the main concourse, you see that the whole thing is covered in brick. This defined much about the ballpark: that it combined both the old-time ballpark feel with a modern touch.
As you get to the field, the wonders continue; you should’ve seen this scoreboard, it was friggin huge and the picture quality was great. Koosed and I were sitting in left field, like 20 feet to the left of the left field pole. One thing that disturbed me was that on top of the left field fence, there was a five foot wide flowerbed that contained a whole bunch of purple and green flowers. This was weird, and didn’t really seem to fit with the baseball.
As you go around the stadium behind the entire outfield is known as “Ashburn Alley”. This place was like a giant baseball carnival. There were games for kids, all sorts of places to eat, and a whole buttload of areas devoted to Phillies history. There was also a Phillies Wall of Fame, that also had a “Phillies Centennial Team”, and everywhere you look you could see so much devotion to Mike Schmidt that you would think he were a god. There was also a statue of Richie Ashburn, but it was the most unflattering statue I’ve ever seen. They posed him running, which was decent, but he is posed with his head down, and he is kind of slumped over. I don’t know what they were thinking with this move.
I did get to see one of heroes though: the Phillie Phanatic. Well, at least he used to be my hero. When I saw how this guy conducted himself at a ballgame, I realized that I can no longer look up to him. This guy ran around like a maniac and would grope and grab every single person he could find. This guy grabbed more butts than a chain-smoker. This guy was even grabbing kids, eight-year olds. Not only was he a molester, but this guy must’ve had ADD or something because he could not sit still for more than three seconds. He would sit down and then right away would jump up and start flailing his arms like the world was coming to an end. It was messed up. Then a few innings later, the guy drove around on a hot dog cannon. That’s right, you heard me, a hot dog cannon. Now I’ve seen mascots with hot dog cannons before, but those were handheld ones. This was an entire car that had this ginormous cannon mounted on it, and this thing could launch a dog 200 feet. It was pretty cool.
As for the game, this was my third Phillies game that I’ve seen on the tour. I saw the Phillies beat the Padres in San Diego, in which Jon Lieber pitched. I saw the Phillies lose to the Giants in San Fran in which Lieber also pitched. Well, at this game against the Marlins, Lieber pitched as well. Pretty strange coincidence, huh? Well, the Marlins jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning after a few scattered hits; then the craziness began. The Phillies put up nine runs over the next four innings, including 6 runs in the 3rd inning, including a monster home run by Pat Burrell that had to be at least 430 feet. The Marlins didn’t know what hit them, after they gave up this 6 run third inning, the team just rolled over and died. I think they got 3 hits over the next seven innings; it was pathetic. It was hard to believe that this team was only a half game out of the wild card race. Well, the Phillies ended up winning 10-1 (or maybe 11-1, I don’t know). So Jon Lieber was 2-1 in my presence this year. At this point, I need to point out that Koosed fell asleep during the game, for like a whole inning, he personally gets an F for the day, and will remain in F-town for a good long while.
As for food, I got my token hot dog. It was good, but not great. It was a footlong dog, but it was a really thin dog, and the bun they gave me was huge. It was like for every one bite of dog, I got three bites of bun. Plus, the peppers and onions on the dog were so sweet that they overpowered the taste of the hot dog. After this sub-par hot dog, I had to let Philly redeem itself, and it did with a Cheesesteak. Holy crap, this thing was great. I mean, I’ve had what were called cheesesteaks in Cleveland, but none of them could compare to the tasty deliciousness that Philly provided me with. It was all sorts of awesome.
I thought that Citizens Bank Park was great. It really did a great job of combining the old school classic stadiums and the new modern fields. It was quite reminiscent to Fenway, which is always a plus. And they did a good job at showing the history of the Phillies. I’m gonna give the park an A-.
Next stop Shea stadium.
18 down, 2 to go. Oh yeah, Go Tribe.
Laz

5 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sprint employees blog on hurricane relief efforts
Telecom firms scramble to give storm aid BY Michael Hardy Published on Sep. 14, 2005 More Related Links Sprint Nextel employees have established Sprint City, a six-acre home for hurricane relief workers at the ...
Hey, you have a distinctive blog. I'll be sure to revisit.

I have a .ws site. It covers .ws related stuff!

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bullet Proof Suit.....Que the James Bond Music
The Miguel Caballero suit claims to be a bullet proof suit. Weighing in at 3.8 pounds it can resist handgun fire .
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a chlorine granules site/blog. It pretty much covers
chlorine granules related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger MJ said...

I was in Philly for the Saturday night game vs. the Marlins. It was my 2nd time at the ballpark and I 100% agree with you -- the place is just awesome. Not only are the cheesesteaks good but the sandwiches from Tony Luke's and the BBQ from Greg "The Bull" Luzinski are worth the visit. Also cool is how you can stand over the visitor's pen and watch them get heckled by die-hard Phillies fans. I saw two such fans give Todd Jones (Marlins closer) such a hard time that it made them booing Santa and McNabb seem like a walk in the park.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Gutsy Goldberg said...

I think Laz and Jon Lieber should be pen pals.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger MJ said...

I don't know what it is about the Phillies but I saw them on the road in Denver in July, at Shea in late August and then this past weekend vs. the Marlins in Philly. Somehow they're just everywhere.

And for the record, I agree. Laz and Lieber should keep in touch after the season. It's obvious Laz is a big Liebs fan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home